Monday, February 27, 2012

Cabinet How To

I wanted to follow up with the instructions on how to apply the faux finish to the cabinet I finished. If you look at the post called "Cabinet Update 2", you can see the products that were used. First I applied a strong oil based primer, then Valspar paint called "Eclipse". It was the color called for to do the "Taste of Italy" faux finish. After the paint had dried I applied Valspar Brushed Pearl to it. You can see the picture of it in my other post. I purchased it at Lowe's who also had the pamphlet on how to apply this type of finish.
I had to also purchase a wash brush along with a trowel. To apply you take a few foot section, take the wash brush and make X's. When this becomes tacky you take the trowel and make circular motions over that area. Then you repeat this on another section until it is all finished. I was very upset when it dried because it did not look like it does on the pamphlet. I decided to apply a second coat using the same technique. This made all of the difference. I was very happy then with the finished look. It definitely reminds me of some of the buildings in Italy.
I hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask! Here is the better photo I promised!

No comments: