Sunday, March 11, 2012

Inspiration

What inspires you? I am very sentimental, and I love my family and friends so much, so when I see an item that reminds me of them or the time I spend with them I want to have it and display it.  I feel that warmth even more every time I look at it.
The most important of course would be the jar of belongings that were my son Ryan's I have posted about previously. Although it is hard, it is important to me to see it everyday to remember what he was like and what he enjoyed. When I see his ball cap I picture him wearing it. When I see his I Pod I remember the type of music he liked, and when I see his glasses I remember those beautiful eyes of his.

This is one of the reasons it was so important to me to do the cabinet redo as well. It had belonged to my grandma and grandpa. They were beyond frugal. It actually made me sad at times because although it was great that they managed their money so well, and had lots of it, they didn't spend enough on themselves. The cabinet was just put together with all different wood and needed painted badly. I just wanted to honor my grandmother who kept in it all of the tea cup and saucers we would use for our tea parties. I finished it and now I feel such a sense of warmth when I look at it. It still reminds me so much of them, but it also shows a new generation of life and family time.

Now I'm finishing this wine rack that I purchased at a thrift shop. I'm not a huge wine drinker, but I have enjoyed many gatherings drinking wine with my friends. We like to joke about drinking a lot more wine than we actually consume! Since I'm going with a Tuscan theme in my dining room, it seemed appropriate to have a wine rack. I knew it would remind me of the joyous times I've had with my friends and also times of relaxation.
Although "things" aren't what matter in life, I believe it's important to have some things around to always remind us of those special people and times we've been blessed to have in our lives. Please share with me some of your projects that remind you of your family and friends and gives you inspiration. I would love to see and read about them.
Also, here is a sneak peak of the wine rack I'll be posting about later.

No comments: