Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Wine Rack Finished!


It is finally finished. I have learned so much from this project. I am very new at furniture redo's, so I definitely have to ask you for patience, and I also have to HAVE patience. The first mistake I made with this project was that I let the clerk at the store talk me into purchasing the paint with primer already in it. It ended up being extremely thick and the rack still needed primer anyway. This paint was so thick that I ended up having clumps on the wine rack because it was drying too thick. Second, I shorted a little on the sanding.  I used Zinsser primer which is excellent for coverage, but I still should have sanded more. Third, I made the mistake of trying to paint some of the lower part of the legs while it was standing upright. You probably know where this is going.....the legs stuck to the plastic at the bottom and clumped up. Fourth, I decided to try eggshell finish. If you really want it to look distressed, I feel like you need flat finish. Now I know what I like.  All of these things are just part of learning, and I have to say that even though the paint job did not turn out as I would have liked, this project is perfect because of how much I learned!
After priming, and then painting the wine rack in teal, I then mixed my brown paint one part paint with two parts water. I found it did not take much paint to do the distressing. I used 1/4 cup paint plus water for this and it was way too much. I then applied the brown paint mixture with a clean cloth in a circular motion on the areas I wanted the look. I then took another cloth and after waiting about fifteen seconds or so I lightly wiped off the paint in a circular motion. I adjusted my pressure by how much  paint I wanted in that particular area. I bought these cloths in a package of 10 at Home Depot. The paint I used was Valspar from Lowe's. The pictures below will show you the process. I may end up sanding away some areas for added distressing, but I haven't decided if it needs it yet. I am now ready to tackle the next piece of furniture waiting to teach me!



No comments: